Sunday, June 28, 2015

ASA 103 with Black Rock Sailing School

After quickly realizing I needed lessons when I purchased my 18' Precision sailboat, I decided to take the ASA 103 (Coastal Cruising) class to get me ready for the bigger boat. I signed up for a class in Warwick, RI with Black Rock Sailing School. I took my ASA 101 with them in Boston and they're a top notch school. I'm glad to have Paul again as an instructor as he also owns a Hunter 28.5. Three solid days out on the water with some great wind and I'm feeling a lot better about being able to handle my new boat.

It was also convenient to get out sailing on another boat because I can't take my boat out yet until I get it registered. I didn't understand the whole deletion of documentation process through the Coast Guard, but it took me about 2 weeks to get it straightened out and 2 trips to the New Bedford registry for boats, which typically has some scary looking characters. I believe the tear drop tattoos mean you killed someone in prison?



There are a total of three students in the class and it's on their very nice Hunter 35. One of the other students lives 2 towns over from me and is interested in buying his own boat at some point, so we exchange info. I need sailing friends as most of my friends race bikes and would probably find this boring.

Brenton, owner of Black Rock Sailing School, giving some tips

I'm looking way too serious here

The bimini and dodger were nice on Sunday. It was cold and rainy

No comments:

Post a Comment