Saturday, September 7, 2013

First sails with the kids and it's not pretty

Today was not one of my finer days. I took the kids sailing on Reel Fun. It's been 15 years since I've sailed, and I only learned on dinghies with just a mainsail on the Charles River. We're doing OK, and then I have an accidental jibe. They're below in the cabin and we heel over pretty good and they get a bit freaked out. I get it under control quickly and then the rest of the sail goes uneventfully.

Time to head back to Prince Cove Marina. I go to start the outboard and the pull starter comes off the cord. Ugh, don't freak out in front of the kids. It's a narrow river back from the bay and I try to take my way back up, but the wind is coming straight at me and I just don't have the skills to do it. I decide to pull up the centerboard and beach it while I figure it out.

I had brought my crab trap with me and let the kids fish for crabs over the side while I sort things out. I finally figure out how to get the top off the outboard and am able to rig something up to let me get it started. We get back to the slip and I realize I need a serious refresher in sailing. I should have done that before I took the kids out!


No comments:

Post a Comment